Peter I. Minton
Peter I. Minton is the founder and President of Minton Law Group, P.C. His practice focuses on the representation of venture capitalists, angel investors and the startups and emerging businesses they invest in with their transactional needs, including raising capital, mergers & acquisitions and exit opportunities.
Prior to founding the Minton Law Group, P.C., Peter practiced in the business transactions department of Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP where he represented private equity and hedge fund clients, as well as their portfolio companies, in a diverse range of transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, restructurings, bankruptcies, secured transactions and activist investing campaigns.
Education: Georgetown University Law Center, Juris Doctor
University of Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude
Bar Admissions: New York
Current and Past Representations and Transactions
Venture Capital Representations and Transactions
• Investor counsel to WISE Ventures on its venture capital transactions
• Investor counsel to a seed stage venture capital fund on its venture capital transactions.
• Investor counsel to a private equity fund on certain venture capital transactions
• Investor counsel to a hedge fund on certain venture capital transactions
• Issuer counsel to a waste management startup on a “Series B” transaction
• Issuer counsel to an education tech company on a “Series A” transaction
• Investor counsel to certain members of the New York Angels on their “Series Seed” investments
• Investor counsel to certain members of the Hyde Park Angels on their “Series Seed” investments
• The acquisition of a manufacturer and online retailer of home goods by a private equity fund
• The sale of a celebrity charity marketing startup to a strategic partner
• The proposed acquisition by a hedge fund of an automobile parts manufacturer
• The acquisition of a defense consulting firm by a defense company
• The “credit bid” acquisition of a fine china maker by a group of private equity funds
• The acquisition of the North American subsidiary of a European paper manufacturing business by a paper company
• The proposed acquisition of a non-prime residential lending and servicing business by a hedge fund.
• The purchase of the financial arm of a large U.S. auto manufacturer by a hedge fund
General Corporate Representations and Transactions
• Outside general counsel to a waste management company
• Outside general counsel to an education technology company
• Outside general counsel to an auto parts manufacturer
• A cash tender offer by an aerospace company for its outstanding notes and term debt
• The restructuring of a national bank as part of the Troubled Assets Relief Program
Activist Investing Campaigns
• A “vote no” campaign regarding a large pharmaceutical company’s proposed acquisition of a Chinese corporation
• An activist campaign and resulting settlement removing the CEO of a national restaurant chain
• A proxy contest for representation on the board of directors of an aerospace company
Private Equity/Investment Management Representations
• The settlement of private equity trades for various private equity funds
• Multiple private equity and hedge funds in connection with their Section 13 and Section 16 filing obligations
Peter was born and raised outside of Cleveland, Ohio. He was valedictorian of Aurora High School before attending the University of Pennsylvania, where he was on the rowing team and was the founding member of a student investment group. After graduation, Peter spent time backpacking in Europe and the Middle East and then attended the Georgetown University Law Center, where he was an editor on the American Criminal Law Review. He enjoys sports, traveling and fine dining with friends. He now resides in Manhattan.